Teachers and Home Schoolers
We would like to encourage you to use these lesson plans to support home learning. Please consider visiting some of the local green spaces in our watershed to support student understanding and to help them make connections with what they are learning!
Also, remember to take a bag with you for any trash you may see along the way! Have fun learning and growing together!
VIRTUAL FIELD TRIPS
From the Nature Conservancy – “designed for ages 9-15 but customizable for all ages, virtual field trips allow students to travel the world and explore natural environments without leaving the classroom. Each virtual field trip contains a video, teacher guide, and student activities.”
• You’re the Scientist! A Virtual Field Trip about Citizen Science, Frogs, and Cicadas!
• Changing Climate, Changing Cities
• The Secret Life of Corals
• Borneo: The Symphony of the Rainforest
• View from a Canoe
• Wild Biomes: America’s Rainforests & Deserts
• The Coral Reefs of Palau
• China’s Great Forests
• Powering the Planet: Renewable Energy,
• Journey of Water: Colombia’s Páramo
• Peru: A Coastal Ecosystem
• Ridge to Reef: A Virtual Field Trip to Hong Kong
Additional Youth Curriculum offered as well
TREES: “Meet SomeTrees” give a good overview of several native species found in the watershed – challenge your students to find these trees where they live!
SWIFTlets for SCIENCE STANDARDS: Franklin Soil and Water Conservation District’s SWIFTlets have been created to enhance at-home learning and exploration. These instructional guides include topical background information, related children’s books, straightforward learning activities and related online resources. Each SWIFTlet has a corresponding coloring page. The SWIFTlets are aligned to Ohio’s Learning Standards for Earth and Space Science and Life Science. The SWIFTlets and coloring pages are available on their website.